Adam Taylor Article Writer
What is an alkaline diet?
The main task of an alkaline diet is to normalize the pH balance in the body, by reducing the acidity of its internal environment. It is believed that increased acidity leads to the development of many diseases:
- a decrease in the rate of metabolic processes (obesity)
- promotes the formation of stones in the organs of the urinary system.
- the bone tissue will break down faster.
- the risk of developing cancer and diabetes mellitus increases.
- the stability of the nervous system is increased.
In turn, an increased level of alkali in the body is extremely rare. However, if this happens, then the person develops allergic reactions, disruptions in the functioning of the digestive system occur, and dermatological diseases may develop.
Although there is not enough scientific research on this whole topic.
The purpose of the alkaline diet is designed to slowly and systematically "alkalize" the body, to create a neutral or light alkaline environment in it. It is recommended to adhere to this nutritional method for 3-4 weeks.
Fans of the alkaline diet believe that the more a person consumes alkaline foods, the longer they stay healthy and young. At the same time, the body works fully and without interruptions. Also, there is a theory that adherence to alkaline foods makes it possible to prevent the development of cancer. Therefore, this diet is becoming more popular every day.
The main principles of an alkaline diet
The share of acidic foods in the total diet should not exceed 30%. Namely, you need to reduce the consumption of yeast bread, some varieties of legumes, fish and meat, eggs, tea, coffee, and dairy products. This does not mean that meat and fish will need to be abandoned altogether, you should simply limit their consumption and choose low-fat types.
The amount of "alkaline" foods should be brought closer to 70% of the diet during the diet. The menu of a person who wants to try to observe such a temporary diet should be based on vegetables and fruits, you can eat greens, berries, pumpkin, and sesame seeds. It is imperative that the diet should contain vegetable oils, low-fat fish, and such cereals: brown rice, buckwheat, oats.
All plant foods are best eaten raw. This can speed up the process of alkalization of the body, and will also allow you to "cleanse" the intestines due to the amount of fibre.
Be sure to drink water (2 liters per day), herbal teas, freshly pressed juices.
It is necessary to give up the use of canned foods, smoked meats, and animal fats.
Alcoholic drinks are prohibited during the diet.
Salt and sugar are not completely excluded from the menu, but their consumption is minimized. They can be replaced with honey, stevia, wedge syrup.
The amount of food consumption per day 3-5 times.
Pros and Cons of an alkaline diet
Adherents of the alkaline diet highlight the following benefits:
- This diet can improve the quality of your night's sleep.
- The condition of hair, nails, skin improves.
- Diet allows you to lose weight without harming your health (Although it can be said that weight loss is most likely the result of eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and reducing the consumption of sugar, alcohol, and "unhealthy" as well as animal fats).
- The diet does not require significant financial costs.
The disadvantages of the alkaline food system include:
- The diet lasts quite a long time. The minimum period for compliance is 3 weeks. Moreover, many people continue to adhere to certain principles of alkaline nutrition. The weight will go away slowly.
- In the first week of the diet, a deterioration in well-being is possible, which is due to the adaptation of the body to a new diet, which is natural.
- Meat lovers will find it very difficult to stick to this diet. After all, the emphasis in it is on plant foods.
- When giving up some products (milk, cheese), you need to find additional sources of calcium.
- Alkaline diet menus are not balanced and the body may need fatty acids and proteins.
- Not recommended for the elderly and pregnant women.
- It is better to consult a doctor before going on a diet.
- It is not recommended to stick to the diet for too long. (although it is a very good idea to reduce the consumption of convenience foods, coffee, refined sugar for the long term)
- Also, the body itself is able to regulate acidity levels regardless of diet, and interference with these processes can have negative consequences.
Сontraindications of an alkaline diet:
- Ischemic heart disease and other cardiovascular diseases;
- People suffering from diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, since the diet includes a huge amount of foods with fibre in the composition.
- The low acidity of gastric juice.
- Disorders of the kidneys.
- Serious deterioration in well-being since the start of the diet. This is the reason for the rejection of this power system.
Menu for alkaline diet
If you have decided to "taste" the alkaline diet, which is fans of many celebrities, below you can see a sample diet for 1 week.
Breakfast: oatmeal in water with a handful of almonds.
Lunch: vegetable soup, quinoa with vegetables.
Dinner: buckwheat with one boiled egg.
Breakfast: fruit salad with yoghurt, tea
Lunch: tofu cheese, tomato soup, herbs
Dinner: boiled white lean fish, corn on the cob
Breakfast: apple, celery, and orange smoothies, some almonds.
Lunch: vegetable broth, boiled brown rice.
Dinner: boiled fish, fresh vegetables.
Breakfast: barley porridge, a handful of dried fruits, tea
Lunch: vegetable soup, soy cutlet, herbs
Dinner: boiled potatoes, asparagus, a handful of berries
Breakfast: sugar-free cheesecakes on oat flour.
Lunch: stewed zucchini with steamed beans.
Dinner: 2 boiled eggs and fresh vegetables.
Breakfast: fruit salad with low-fat yoghurt.
Lunch: steamed salmon with boiled turnips.
Dinner: vegetable salad with lemon juice, stewed eggplant.
Breakfast: oatmeal with water and an apple.
Lunch: vegetable soup and quinoa.
Dinner: chicken fillet with herbs.
*The article is for informational purposes only. Before use, you must consult a specialist!