Gloseeker Article Writer
Guided Meditation Vs Silent Meditation, all you need to know
What is Meditation?
Did you know that meditation has been practised for thousands of years? Meditation is a mental exercise that consists of connecting with ourselves through our attention in order to bring our minds to a state of peace and serenity. It is also a great opportunity to see what direction our thoughts take and to realize how we feel about ourselves.
In addition, this discipline will provide us with numerous benefits for our health .
What is Meditation for and How Can It Help Me?
Most people who have never tried the art of meditation believe that they will not be able to relax or stop thinking. However, it is essential to clarify that the main objective of meditation is not to blank the mind and stop all our thoughts. It is completely normal that when meditating our thoughts come and go. In addition, numerous studies affirm that our minds generate between 60,000 and 80,000 thoughts in just 1 day.
Therefore, what meditation teaches us is to flow with our thoughts but without holding on to them or avoiding them. It is simply as if we were the spectators of a story and we see what is happening at each moment, without letting ourselves be carried away by the emotions that they provoke in us. In this way, we will come to understand and know each other on a much more intense and profound level.
In this article we will learn about two different ways to meditate:
It consists of listening and carrying out the instructions that a person with meditation knowledge is going to give us at all times while we remain in a comfortable position with our eyes closed. This meditation technique is highly recommended for those who have never tried this discipline or for those who consider themselves beginners. It is a much simpler way to start meditation since we have the help of a professional who tells us at every moment what we have to do and be able to relax.
Depending on our goal when making use of guided meditation, such as improving our general emotional state, accepting a situation that we cannot influence, psychological preparation to achieve a goal, or simply relaxing our mind and body, we can use a type of meditation guided or other.
- Traditional meditation
- Meditation with visualizations
- Relaxation and body scan
- Focus on our breathing
- Meditation to fall asleep
Instead, silent meditation is practised by people with more experience in the subject of meditation since you are the one who guides your own meditation. To do this, you will need to be in a place without noise, in a comfortable posture, and with your eyes closed. Silence will be your best friend and you will be able to connect with yourself at a very deep and higher level since meditation will only depend on you.
With this other way of meditating, you will understand much better the fundamental role that silence plays in our lives and you will be able to handle it in a much more optimal way and in your favour. Silent meditation opens your mind and gives you a clear and deep insight into who you are, the current state your life is in, and if you are fulfilling your dreams and goals. It is simply an analysis of you at a higher level.
Pros and Cons of Both of Them: Which Could be the Best For You?
Advantages of Guided Meditation
- Ideal for people who have never meditated or for beginners.
- It is easier to control thoughts since a guide is directing us at all times.
- You will begin to understand the power of your mind and how to control it.
- You will begin to have more control over your emotions.
- You will have greater resilience.
- You will improve cognitive skills such as attention, concentration, or memory.
- It will improve your physical and mental health.
- You will avoid various diseases such as hypertension, asthma, cancer, or cardiovascular problems.
Advantages of Silent Meditation
- Superior understanding of your own body, mind, and emotions.
- You can detect and recognize problems or patterns in your life that you have deeply ingrained.
- Discover the best way in which you can use and channel your energy.
- Provide you at any time with a state of relaxation and well-being.
- Internalize that silence will always be your greatest ally.
- Understand what is the role of all the people who are part of your life, your relationship with each one and if they contribute to you in a positive way.
- Connect with yourself and know your self-concept.
- Being able to understand and connect with others in a deeper way.
- Reach a higher state of consciousness.
No disadvantages could be listed, meditation is a discipline that may have a positive impact on you and your general well-being. You will have a greater awareness of your body and emotions, the only difference is the level you currently have. If you are a beginner, it is recommended that you start in a guided way where they teach you the basic notions that you should learn about how to carry out mediation.
If, on the other hand, you have been meditating for a long time with a guide and want to reach a higher mental and emotional level, it is best to try the art of silent meditation. In addition, with silent meditation, you will not only continue to learn about yourself but you will also learn about the importance of silence in your life.
Do Not Underestimate the Power of Meditation
Meditation helps us to be mindful of many areas in our lives and to reduce stress levels. You can make meditation a daily habit and practice it regularly. It will become a great workout for your mind. It is essential that you understand that there is no right or wrong way to practice meditation, it is simply about discovering which method may work best for you. You can even practice both since the main objective is that you connect with your inner "I" while you enter and enjoy a state of calm and physical and mental well-being.
Photo by Hans Vivek